Tuesday, October 5, 2010

First weekend in Manila

While I was having my pedicure done I was reading Eat, Pray, Love and I read one line that stuck with me, a Buddhist teaching that said, “the world is afflicted with death and decay, therefore the wise do not grieve, knowing the terms of the world" (173). I feel like this was a nudge forward in respect to the contemplation I’ve been doing from the night before. And so I move forward…


Saturday was quite the experience topper. After waking up at 5am to head out with my cousin and her son to their casting shoot I waited for three hours until I got restless and ventured out to find my own way to a shopping centre. I took cab to Greenbelt where, looking back now, I can say that I definitely overindulged. I impulsively got my hair cut at Piandre’s and a foot spa pedicure at Tips and Toes I then proceeded to spend 1/3 of my travel budget!

You must want to know on what but to be completely honest I’m not really sure. Aside from my hair and nails, I bought impulsive splurges, I think I’m subconsciously trying to forget about it because nothing specific comes to the top of my head. I did venture to try out this Japanese Restaurant on the second level of Greenbelt 3. It kinda sucked hence why I forgot about their name. I ordered a “California” roll but it had a stick of crab, cucumber and sliver of mango and on top I assumed it was Japanese mayo. It was not very flavorful. All I could taste was the surge of mayo and the overpowered mango. For dinner however, I ate at Cyma’s (which was reminiscent of my last trip to the Philippines, specifically to Boracay with my cousin who is not with me now =(). We ate Chicken Souvlaki and Giant Prawn with Ouza.

Sunday, I decided to take a cab to visit my Tita who had just undergone a mastectomy. Afterwards my cousins (from my mom’s side) and I ventured to Festival Mall. Why they call it festival, I’m not technically sure BUT with the amount of activities, levels, stores and people that surge throughout each branch of the mall I am not surprised with its name.


Before we left their home though I was able to try some completely authentic Chicken Adobo. I haven’t had this dish in a while so when I ate it I was completely overwhelmed with thoughts of how good it was, when the last time I had it was, when my mom ever made it, when the last time I ate at my house was and when the last time my mom cooked it was. Yes, I know, sometimes my mind is like a horse race.

At festival mall I ate at Fresh Lumpia, Roasted Chicken and this other shrimp dish I forgot the name of at Max’s Restaurant. The chicken was yummy juicy inside and roasted outside. The fresh lumpia was good but my family friend in Coquitlam makes better ones. And the shrimp dish was a bit plain but it came with toasted bread and the bread was reaaallly yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment