Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Money

I have such a love-hate relationship with money. I love it because, well, having it means having a lot of things I want. And I hate it because I need it to have anything I want. Since when did your standard of living depict your life happiness? I guess I haven't been around long enough or not as educated enough to answer that question. But similar to a Catholic priest's sermon, money is the root of all evil. I say this because I see money as the entity that separates groups of people within society, the 'haves' and 'have nots', the West Vancouverites and the East Vancouverites, the CEOs and the Third World citizens. While yes, some people work hard for their money, there are millions of people working SO hard yet don't earn half the amount I earn for sitting on my ass and writing this blog (not that I get paid for my amatuer blogging, I'm just blogging at work --I'm horrible I know).

Money has become a form of measurement. It measures how 'good' your life is, how many trips you can go on, how many things you can buy. It has become the focus of our life, to be successful for the most part means to make as much money to be 'financially comfortable'. It's so easy, as a resident of a Commonwealth nation, to talk about money and working hard, as we have more opportunities and possiblities for success available for us. We, I have been educated enough to be self-reflective and humbly grateful, to know the differences between my life and the lives of others not just in the Third Worlds but even in this country. I can sit here and preach while acting completely out of contradiction.

These past few weeks, I've indulged and penny pinched. Hitting the pub for wing night one day and lounging at the Keg patio with lobster and filet mignon another. Anyways, last weekend I went to the Philippine Festival in Richmond where my parents bought me lunch! haha always good. We went to this little Filipino Restaurant called Little Ongpin. Supposedly, the original Little Ongpin is in the Philippines and is known for it's amazing food. We ordered a lot of stuff most of which I don't remember but among them was Kare Kare, not pronounced as I initially thought (care-care) but like KAR-EH KAR-EH (it's in caps so you must say it with attitude). It is a yummy stew made with peanuts (my fave), green peas, bok choy, eggplant and whatever meat you want (usually pork?). We also tried this new style of Filipino rice that was mixed with Bagoong (shrimp paste pronounced as BAG-O-ONG) and green mango and pork. I'm usually up for new and exciting things so I liked these =) ... AND THEY WERE FREE (courtesy of my parents anyway). BTW, I stuck in a photo of chocolate frozen yogurt with strawberries in the beginning because they looked so freaking amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment