Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Search

Lately, my new found obsession for pan seared sashimi/ tataki/ahi tuna has led me to spend a ridiculous amount of money trying to sate my appetite for the best. At Henderson there's a hidden Japanese / Asian fusion, I guess, restaurant called Robata. Their tuna tataki was lightly flavored with mild sauces and topped with what I can only describe as thin slivers of what tastes like salmon flakes.

At Cats Social House in Granville Island, I experienced the BEST ahi tuna I've ever had in my life. I can still remember it tasting awesome. Maybe it was a combination of the spinach feta walnut fig salad or the amazing weather or the fact that I felt like such a tourist, but when I placed that tiny (well not so tiny but I ate it in pieces) piece of pan seared tuna with their sauce into my mouth... I was in heaven. I would even dare to say that it could be as good as eating 65% dark chocolate (any more is a bit too bitter for my taste).


As if I couldn't have enough, I went home later that day and after dreaming about bbq tatakis I dragged my sister out to Sushi Shelter 101 to try their Salmon Tataki. It was good, however, I thought it was a bit strange since they had ice underneath the salmon. I guess that's too keep the sashimi cool? Still not entirely sure why that was necessary. But it couldn't compare to the one I'd had earlier. Specially with just soy sauce for dipping, the other sauce was without a doubt soooooooo yummy!

And then (you know when you're obsessed when ...) today I ate at the Keg in Coquitlam and tried their version of Ahi Tuna. It was a bit different from the rest since it was sliced in thicker but smaller cubes (the others were thinner and the meat tasted a bit more meaty lol). It felt like the smaller cubes made the meat a bit more lean? Is that even possible with fish? I feel like I'm not getting my point across... Basically it was a bit of a disappointment compared to the others I've tried. I'm not saying it wasn't good (or that my taste is superior ---probably far from it) but it did not taste as good as the others. It did, however, come with sides which were yummy although I didn't know those were mushrooms until my cousin told me.


As I was on the super comfy fancy keg patio sipping my mojito (my very first ...three, I had three), I realized that the search for good yummy food is almost as tough as finding good friends. And maybe 'good friends' is not a descriptive enough label for someone you consider to be more than friends. Being a "good" friend is so generic and abstract. But you know you have one when you're both crying and apologizing to each other after a fight that seemed so pointless and minute. Because at the end of the day all you can think about is how they're doing and if they're okay --- and you're willing to go out of your way to spend time with them. Those kind of friends are tough to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment